Asparagus Cheese Strata
1½ lbs asparagus, cut into 2-in. pieces
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 loaf sliced bread, crusts removed
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
3 cups milk
2 tsp dried minced onion
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp dry mustard
1) In saucepan, cover asparagus with water; cover & cook until tender but firm. Drain & set aside.
2) Lightly brush butter over one side of bread.
3) Place half of bread, buttered side up, in greased 13x9 in. pan. Sprinkle with ½ cup cheese. Layer with asparagus & ham. Cover with remaining bread, buttered side up.
4) In bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, onion, salt & mustard; pour over bread. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
5) Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50 min. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and knife inserted comes out clean.
Makes 10-12 servings.